Thursday, April 19, 2012

Imperio Cubano - Panatella



Strength: mild
Origins: Cuba
Wrapper: Connecticut
Length: 5.5"
Ring size: 32
Shape: straight
Approx. cost: ?? (gift)
Bdawg says: I've smoked a lot of cigars, not many Cubans though. When I have smoked Cubans, I have enjoyed them immensely. I'm sure a big part of my enjoyment has been psychological. It's like buying an expensive bottle of wine. You assume it's supposed to be good, so in your mind it's better than usual. Since I cannot get Cubans readily in the states, I typically enjoy them while on vacation in some tropical local. This also adds to the experience of smoking a Cuban cigar.

However, just because it's made in Cuba, does that make it a good cigar? No. Take this off-brand cigar imported from Cuba. At least that's where my Father-in-law's friend says he gets them. Is it a real Cuban cigar? I think so. The acquiantance says it is. Plus there's a picture of Cuba on the label. (Remind me to post my story of how I bought some counterfeit Cohibas while on a cruise to Jamaica).

I don't usually smoke panatellas. The ring gage is just too small and I don't think you get the complexity of flavors that you get with a bigger ring gage. This cigar was nicely constructed with a smooth, dry, blonde wrapper. The draw was nice although I made sure to take nice easy puffs because of the small ring size. At first the flavor was nice, mellow and cedary. However about half way through, it became very harsh and cheap tasting.

I understand that this is an off-brand cigar. My point is that I don't think it matters as much where a cigar is from, as its quality, complexity, & consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment